Friday, February 11, 2011

Why Nobody Buys StateFarm Insurance

The current rave thing to do if you’re a corporation is to have people “Like” your product on Facebook.  I’ve seen it spin around a couple of times now and I’m not buying those fish.  If I start liking products that I don’t believe in just to win prizes, then my viral awesomeness can be bought and then true viral awesomeness is a little less awesome.

Anyways, then there’s StateFarm Insurance.  They’ve taken viral buzzkill to a new level.

First I read a Weezer State Farm article on Paste Magazine here.  Weezer put together a jingle for StateFarm and I was psyched to see their output. Only, the marketing geniuses at StateFarm killed the YouTube video:

image

Continuing their marketing prowess, StateFarm soared yesterday as well, when I got this email from GoMaine, a great advocacy group for Maine green transportation.

image

With no faith in their marketing abilities, why would I buy insurance from these people? 

Like a good neighbor (with no Internet skills), State Farm is there (unless you’re under 65 in which case we don’t understand your technology).

Why I spent a whole post on an insurance company rant I have no idea.

1 comment:

  1. just to offer a different view, i have had state farm insurance for decades. they have given me an un-GEICO - beatable rate, called me personally, sent me personal letters, always can reach a live human being (sometimes the franchise owner even) when i call and had really fast response the two times i had a claim. not only that but they gave me book value on my old rusty truck when it was crushed by a tree. they were even willing to insure me when i worked delivering pizza - something most insurers won't touch. no bad things to say about these guys.

    security word def - "faterser" - the larger of two gentleman honored by the Queen

    ReplyDelete