Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gummy Bear Massacre

Me and candy are at war right now.  You see, I have three kids.

image

Georgia finishes her piano lessons and gets rewarded with candy corns (candy 1, Keith 0).  We go to visit Aunty Jackie and within minutes it’s “daddy, can i have an aunty jackie treat?” (candy 2, Keith 0).  Three minutes later, repeat.  (candy 3, Keith 0).  Aunty Michelle bakes cookies.  (candy 4, Keith 0).  By the end of an average day, the score resembles something like a US-Lichtenstein Olympic basketball game.

It’s not just candy. It’s donuts.  And popsicles.  And juice boxes with sugar.  Ice cream.   

I’m constantly bombarded with sugary missiles from everywhere.  It’s not just birthday parties.  It’s Friday nights and Saturday mornings.  It’s when the kids visit work.  And when they visit their friends’ houses.  It’s on a box.  It’s with a fox.

I’m sort of laughed at when I suggest there’s way too much sugar in our kids lives.  “It’s ok this one time.”  “Be happy.”  Nobody realizes I’m at war.  I can’t be happy when I’m at war.

Anyways, the battle rages on.  October 31st is fast approaching and I feel a Waterloo coming on.

(inspired by a NYTimes article this morning)

1 comment:

  1. Winter camping can be your secret weapon. You can eat as many as you want with the knowledge they will be going straight into keeping you warm. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete